Universal Translator

Friday, April 23, 2010

Post 28 - NOOOO!! I'm Doing It Again!!

Argh! I don't want this blog to dwindle to the nothingness of blogs and diaries past! I don't, I don't, I don't! I have to stay on track. Okay, get back on track and stay there. So whatup?

Ugh, I have been SO tired lately! I get up, go to work, get home 12 hours later and all I want to do is just curl up on the couch, watch a movie with Marc and go to sleep. Which is, more or less, exactly what I've been doing for the past 7 days. I haven't figured out yet how to create posts from my Droid but, when I do, I think that'll make it a little easier. So that's my task for this weekend: figure out how to blog from the droid.

Anyway! My friend, Laura (we call her Lolly - it fits; she's adorable!) came to visit me last Thursday. I showed her my last blog and we stayed up half the night talking and laughing our butts off about how our bodies are changing! Thank GOD I'm not the only woman over 40 going through these things. In fact, from the responses I received to that post when I gave a link on my Facebook page, I feel much, much better. My friend, Juanita, said that her 40s were all about getting comfortable with the way her body was changing and that she's amazed she made it through that decade without killing someone (phew, see? Perimenopausal homicidal maniacal thoughts are perfectly normal after all!) And one of my younger girlfriends, Jamie, posted a link to a blog about mom-jeans that had me crying with laughter. But it also gave me hope! The author of the blog included a follow-up post demonstrating the difference a good pair of jeans made on her own 50-something mom's tush! So yay! Maybe it sounds silly but I worry about things like post-40s flat butt syndrome!

Oh! Other news - last Friday, Marc called me at 4am my time (11am his) to inform me that his e-ticket to Chicago arrived! Even though we've known each other for nearly three years, this will be our first time meeting in person. He arrives on 20 May 2010 - less than four weeks away!! - and we're so excited we can hardly stand it!

One more update thingie to touch on for now: one of the main reasons I'm keeping this blog is because I want to "practice the craft of writing." I have a couple of book ideas in my head that I intend to write. One of them is going to be a book - half of it photojournalism - about people. One person per page. How did they become who they are? Who were they when they were little? What did they dream of becoming? I got this idea a couple of years ago when I was riding the CTA (Chicago's transportation system). An adorable little girl hopped onto the bus and then, alternating from one foot to the other, hopped all the way to her seat while clutching her mother's hand. Boarding the bus at the same time was a very unkempt woman: tangled hair, sallow skin... everything about her looked so defeated. And I thought to myself, "you know, at one time in that woman's life, she was just like that little girl, hopping, holding someone's hand, head full of dreams. What happened??" And I began to look around the bus. There were career people in trenchcoats with computer bags, people who were shopping at Macy's and American Girl, elderly people bunched up together chattering like magpies... and so on. It made me wonder how any of us gets where we get in life. Everyone has a story and I don't think we *always* need to hear about the so-called success stories of the likes of Donald Trump and the hot celebrity du jour. So I intend to write a book about people. Rich people, homeless people and everything in between. No rush. People aren't going anywhere. But I have got to start being more disciplined about practicing my craft. *cracks whip at herself*

'Nuff said for now - time for me to get ready for work! I've missed you, whoever you are, and hope you're well. We'll chat again soon, I promise; after all, we've got some serious catching up to do!

No comments:

Post a Comment