Universal Translator

Friday, April 9, 2010

Day 25 (Post 23) - Work, Work, Work

You know, I consider myself blessed. I absolutely love the work that I do. I'll elaborate about this when I'm more in the mood but I'm a nanny. Only, I don't just, you know, nanny. I really try to take it above and beyond the standard role and I think it shows. It took me a while to break into this as a career (anyone can babysit; nannying is a little trickier; becoming a highly sought after nanny in a large city takes some serious effort!) but, once I got going, wow, did I ever get going!

During the day, I work for one family with the sweetest little girl - she's an absolute doll baby (age 1). That's full time, Monday through Thursday. On Friday nights, I work for a family with four, brilliant, fascinating, hilarious and exhausting kids! I love them like crazy and they wear me OUT! That was my family tonight. During my weekdays, the most challenging thing I have to face is making sure the one year old doesn't stick her hands in her private place while I'm changing her poopy diaper. On Friday nights, the challenges are anywhere from explaining to the 7 year old why it's inappropriate to dump a glass of water on her brother's head after he's stuck his finger in her glass to telling the four year old that no, he certainly did not pay for that scooter that's been in the family since before he was born and yes he will too share, whether he likes it or not. To tell you the truth, I get a kick out of those kids - they challenge me, entertain me, and they know I adore them!

And to me, it's so funny that I found my passion when I lost my "career" during the recession. How about that, hm? I had lost my job (down-sized) and, wondering how in the world I was going to pay my rent, I thought, "I know! I'll watch kids! I'm really good at that and clearly people are still having babies!" and voila - the job that was just supposed to get me through the recession became the career of my dreams. Crazy, I tell you, but true.

I get calls so often that I could, quite literally, be working 16 hours a day, 7 days a week. I go through phases where I do work 6 days a week (my reasoning being "well, I'd just be sitting around at home anyway; might as well make some money!") but lately I've been taking my weekends off just to enjoy myself. Ah, bliss!

No comments:

Post a Comment