Universal Translator

Thursday, April 8, 2010

Day 24 (Post 22) - A Few Random Thoughts To Share

I'm humbled. Thank you for your sweet words, friends. I take them all, turn them over in my head and analyze them from every angle, then tuck them into a corner for safe keeping. I'm really not sure what to make of Marc being offline for such a long time without any contact. I'd like to say "I'm not giving it another thought!" but that would be a big, fat lie. Of course I think about it! And every once in a while, I get a little teary, wondering what in the world is going on. But mostly, I'm just living life and, to tell the truth, absolutely loving the life I'm living so, all in all, if he never gets it together, it's his loss! Now, since I don't want this to become one of those blogs where some poor, hapless soul cries mournfully forever and ever over her beloved whozit, let's move on and talk about something else!

Oh! I finally saw my first gang fight in Chicago. I was on the bus heading home when these guys who'd been sitting on the back of the bus jumped some other guy sitting alone in his seat. It happened so quickly!! They stood up as if to get off the bus then, one by one, they ran up to this guy and began punching and kicking him before racing off the bus! Craziness! I didn't even notice that I'd stood up and run toward them while yelling "HEY! KNOCK IT OFF!!" until afterward. Thankfully, the guy they were beating on was alright; unfortunately, even though the bus driver chased them, they got away. If there's ever a next time, I'll be ready with my camera to get photos of faces. People like that make me so angry - who do they think they are to treat someone that way??

Okay.... *breathing deeply* ..... and all better!

I'm thinking about starting a second, work-related blog. It would be geared toward helping people who'd truly like to start a career in nannying here in Chicago. I think people generally think of nannies as either an au pair (not the same thing) or an illegal immigrant or a college student. The thing is, this is a terrific career for someone who loves to help families and who loves working with children. As long as s/he knows how to market her/himself. The best piece of career advice I ever received could be applied to any career. My recruiter at the consulting firm I worked for before moving to Chicago told me, "Kelley, whatever you do with your job, watch everyone and learn. Then, even if you want to be good at everything, find one thing you can do better than anyone you know, put yourself above the crowd with that specialty and make sure everyone knows you're the best." That's what I try to live by with all of my work endeavors and it's served me well, so thank you very much Theresa Holley, wherever you are!

Speaking of words I try to live by, I want to point out the photo in my Facebook Avatar. If you can't see it clearly, it's two side-by-side photos: one of me at 15 and one of me taken last week. Underneath the two photos, it says one word: PHENOMENAL. And below that, I've written the following: "Why in the world would I want to being the girl I was? She's only a fraction of the woman I am today!" I want everyone - male or female - to remember that! Who we were is just one small part of who we become... I feel so much fuller, richer and content knowing that who I was is just a small part of the whole of me, you know?

Alright, whoever you are, it's been a long, busy week and I'm knackered... I need sleep! I hope your week is going amazingly well. I'll be back tomorrow, I promise! G'night!

No comments:

Post a Comment