Universal Translator

Friday, July 9, 2010

Post 41 - ZUMBA!

Okay, now that Joe and I have definitely signed our names on the dotted line (so to speak), our first, specific action plan was to sign up for a dance/exercise class. Enter Christa South, owner of Dance Spa South in Chicago's Bucktown neighborhood. How to describe our experience? Well, why don't I just walk you through our first day?

After discussing available class times, Joe and I agreed that the 7pm class on Wednesday was the best time for both of us. When we arrived at the studio, we were greeted by this peppy, little ball of pure energy and smiles named Christa. After explaining the basic premise of the class and telling us a little general information about her studio, Christa brought us over to meet the rest of the class. Joe and I were so pleased to see that the other students came in all shapes and sizes (we have to admit, we were a tiny bit self conscious at first about being on the bigger side). Everyone was so warm and friendly and we immediately felt at ease.

Suddenly it was time to get started! Eager to be the "good student," I ran right up to the front of the room. Joe (who, in retrospect, I think made the smarter move) lined up toward the back of the group. Christa explained that she would not talk through the class but would indicate a change of motions by either pointing, turning her head or making an exaggerated gesture so we knew something new would be coming. She also told us not to worry if we didn't get the move right away - we should watch, follow and just keep moving. "Sounds doable!" I thought to myself... once the music began, we launched into a series of stretches and warm-up work that felt easy enough. The music was fun and made you want to get up and move... "so far, so good!" ran through my mind. When the second song started, we got moving. Big movements, wide steps, arms up high! After that song was over, here's a play-by-play of what went through my mind:

7:07 (second song ends) WOW! That was GREAT! What a workout! Woooooo! (then I look at the clock) What? I still have 53 minutes to go?? Crap.

7:15 Okay. I'm doing it. My GOD, it hurts, but I'm doing it!

7:16 I can't do it. I just can't!

7:17 I'm still doing it. This suuuuuuuuuuucks..... but I'm doing it!

At 7:30 I can feel my face is flushed and I start feeling a little light-headed so I take a five minute break. I think I peed a little (way tmi, I know, but ladies, I know I'm not the only one!)... then again, hell, for all I know, I'm just sweating in places that aren't supposed to be sweating! So I go into the bathroom, make sure the bladder's empty (no more of those worries, please and thank you), splash some water on my beet red face and walk around a little to keep my heart pumping without feeling like I'm going to faint.

7:35 Back in I go. Woooo! (I'm not feeling "woooo" but I force my brain to tell my body that's what we're feeling anyway.)

7:45 15 minutes to go - I'm going to make it! Oh dear Lord, I'm going to make it!

At 7:50, Christa shouts happily "Come on, everyone! In a great big circle!" and the group starts doing some running this way/dancing that way/waving arms and jumping thing.

7:51 Okay, this looks like it should be really fun. I'm exhausted. My body doesn't want to do this. But I'm going to make myself do this and we're going to have fun doing this, even if my mind has to beat my body into submission! *gritting teeth in what I hope looks like a smile*

At 7:55, Christa brings us back to our original places and we begin to cool down. It feels wonderful to stretch my body and feel my heartbeat slowly come back down to its normal speed. I begin thinking about my goals. How I got to be overweight. How I'm determined not to make this my legacy. How I want to be proud of myself for this and how much I want to help others who are just like me succeed, too. And I begin to cry. It finally occurred to me: after years and years of saying "I'm going to do this; I'm going to get back in shape and I'm going to feel good about myself inside and out," I'm finally doing it. And it's an overwhelming sensation that's difficult to put into words. So I just cry quietly with a smile on my face (hoping, of course, that no one notices it's tears running down my face and not just sweat!).



After the class ended, Joe and I talked with Christa about our goals. What a wonderful person - she is so excited to be a part of our new beginning... and she made us even more excited than we already are.

Guys, I don't know who's reading this blog but I want you to know something important, okay? Everyone has challenges that hold them back but you know what? Life is so, so short and so, so precious. Don't waste another minute wishing you had the energy and determination to change on your own - you can do this. You can! If you're overweight like Joe and like me and like thousands of others, don't wait another day to make this change for yourself. Just get up and move. Find a class, go for a walk, take a bike ride. But get up and move. I'm doing it. Joe's doing it. The contestants on Dance Your Ass Off are doing it. I learned that even Mel B. did it! We're all just regular, everyday people who have decided we are finished with our old habits and we're determined to become the very best we can be. You can do it too. And I'm going to be right here cheering you on!

Much love and laughter,

Kelley
xoxo

1 comment:

  1. Your blog is very inspiring. I started Zumba back in April and love it! I mostly do it to let loose, get a great workout, and to have fun. It is great toning for your legs, waist, and glutes. Being a mostly conservative person, it allows me to release any stress from work I may have that day and just have a great time. I have done an array of classes from all types of yoga and pilates to lifting to running marathons, but I must say that Zumba is one of most fun exercises out there. Keep up the good work, Kelley!

    ReplyDelete