Universal Translator

Thursday, July 8, 2010

Post 40 - Dancing My Ass Off (how it all began)

You may or may not know (if you've read my whole blog, you do know!) that, when I came to Chicago, it was, in large part, for a much-needed do-over in life and that, when I got here, things weren't quite as easy as I thought they'd be. Luckily, I'm a fighter with a positive attitude and, though there were days (days?? Try weeks!) When I wanted to just curl into the fetal position and give up, I refused to quit!

Part of that refusal to quit involves weight loss and healthier living. I was very thin throughout most of my teens and twenties. Until I met my (now ex) husband, Randy. Due to his own insecurities about my friendly personality, he convinced me that it would be better for me to be heavy and so I gained weight. More than 100 lbs. to be more specific. I could kick myself for believing that could ever be a positive thing but what's done is done and I decided it was time to move forward.

Enter the Dance Your Ass Off reality competition. I first saw this show on Oxygen as I was flipping channels to find something else but, the minute I saw these people - big people like me - dancing with all they've got, I was mesmerized! The premise of the show is kind of a combination of The Biggest Loser and So You Think You Can Dance. You get the idea, right? I watched DYAO diligently to the very end and cheered with everyone when Reuben won. But I realized I wasn't only cheering for Reuben. I was also cheering for every one of those contestants who was willing to appear on national television revealing their struggles and their triumphs as they made this life-changing journey. I mean, seriously. If standing on national television wearing midriff baring spandex when you weigh more than 200 lbs. Isn't an exercise in bravery, I don't know what is!

A few months later, I heard auditions would be held in Chicago for DYAO and I decided to attend. I made it past the first couple of rounds (yay me!) But then we had to learn a dance routine that involved the "pop & lock." Um. Excuse me? Okay, full disclosure here: I'm from the farmlands and I'm over 40. They still do the Boot Scootin' Boogie where I'm from (not kidding). My thought as everyone around me was jumping up and down cheering about getting to pop & lock was, "oh sh**. What the f*** is pop & lock and how in the world am I going to teach my body to move like that in 30 minutes or less?" I psyched myself out and that was the end of the DYAO audition line for me.

But then something happened. Lisa Ann Walter (executive producer/creator/judge of the show) said, "I wish I could bring you all with me; please don't give up - come back next year, okay?" and, bless her heart, I knew she meant every word. Here's the thing. I didn't want to get on the show to win the prize or to be on television. I wanted to get on the show because I am PASSIONATE about making this change in my own life and because I want to inspire others to make their own changes right along with me. As Lisa Ann said "come back next year," it hit me: I don't want to wait another day to make these changes and I don't have to be on a popular television show to motivate others to join me! So I started walking. I started watching my food intake, making a few, healthy substitutions at a time. And. I'm. DOING IT!

Fairly soon after the auditions, I joined the DYAO Facebook family - what an amazing, inspiring group of people! The active members include the judges, the professional dancers, contestants (past and present) and the fans and it is an ACTIVE group, let me tell you! One of the best things was meeting my new friend, Joe Castillon. Joe also auditioned for the show and didn't make it. And, like me, Joe said, "I'm not waiting to make these changes in my life!" Since January, Joe has lost more than 50 lbs. and I have lost 30lbs. We also joined a Zumba class last night. We are DETERMINED to succeed. This is my story of OUR journey as we dance our asses off in Chicago - we sincerely hope you'll join us as we share our experience!

3 comments:

  1. Hey Kelley! You rock! I know you can "Pop and Lock"....just dance from your Hoo-Hah! LOL I hope I can make it into the city to see you this summer! Way to go losing 30 lbs! That is awesome and you are beautiful!!!~Amy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great blog! I felt instantly compelled to read it, as it was so well put together that even though we're from different backgrounds, the goal remains the same!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are now, officially, MY inspiration.

    Your blog will, honestly, be the best part of my day. Quite possibly, the week. Thank you for being an embodiment of the power of passion, joy and, of course, dance.

    xoxo - and please keep us up to date!

    ReplyDelete