Universal Translator

Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Post 60 - The Little Hipster's Nickname

I watch this ultra-cool little girl, Little Hipster, and her tiny brother, Baby Preppy, every day.  They both crack me up but Little Hipster is hysterical.  We chat.  Often.  Like, all day.  A while back, she gave herself the nickname, "Honey."  Her parents and I were all confused about this for a few days until it suddenly dawned on us:  I call her, "Honey," all the time.  So there you go.

Anyways!  A few weeks ago, she gave me a nickname.  We didn't know she was actually referring to me because the name she gave me was, "Me."  So she would say things like, "Let Me do it," and we would wait for her to do whatever it was that needed to be done.  We'd look at her.  She'd look at us (especially me) utterly annoyed.  And she would say, "ME do it!!" And we'd all wait.  Eventually, she would cry in frustration and we would all rush to help her do whatever it was that needed doing.  Which, I suppose, in her two year old mind, translated to "Mission Accomplished."  Finally, one day, she asked each adult in the room to make an elephant noise (if you look back to old posts of mine, this involves putting your arm in front of your nose, simulating an elephant's trunk and saying "toodle-oo!").  So.  "Daddy do it!" and her father complied enthusiastically.  "Mommy do it!" and off Mommy went, toodle-oo-ing.  Next, she pointed at me and said, "Me, you do it now!" and a collective light bulb went off in the heads of each adult.  Ahhhhh.  Kelley is "Me."  Not one to disappoint, I toodle-ooed like a pro.

I thought about this nickname and, really, it makes sense!  I'm constantly telling her, "Come give me a hug," or "Come with me," and so on... what a cool, clever little kid.  And let's face it.  You only have to read Post 59 to see that I've certainly been called much worse than "Me," in my life.  If she ever starts calling me "fat ass," though, we could have a problem...

No comments:

Post a Comment